Richard Bullock (1740-1793)

A number of families (most notably the Bullocks) married into the Ping line. This is a discussion forum for questions and information regarding those non-Ping lineages.
jmraney

Richard Bullock (1740-1793)

Post by jmraney » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 am

While details are somewhat sketchy, the majority of researchers accept the existence of Richard Bullock and his role as an ancestor of most of the descendants of John Ping (1740-1823). It appears that his wife's name was Elizabeth. No certain record of her maiden name exists; there are some theories, but unless and until more documentation becomes available, anything is sheer guesswork.

Richard and Elizabeth were the parents of five known children: Mary (abt 1774-abt 1850), Frances (1776?-abt 1850), Bolling (1780-1850), William (1782-1864), and Jesse Bowling Bullock (1788-1861). The reader will doubtless notice that one son had "Bolling" for a given name and another had almost the same "Bowling" as a middle name; it has been suggested that this might be a lead in researching Elizabeth's (unknown) family.

All five of the known children married:
Mary Bullock married William Ping, son of John Ping and Lydia Bradley, 28 Jun 1797 in Lincoln County, KY
Frances Bullock married Richard Dowell, 19 Dec 1792 in Albemarle County, VA
Bolling Bullock married Sarah Ping, daughter of John Ping and Lydia Bradley, 13 May 1806 in Pulaski County, KY. He was Sarah's second husband.
William Bullock married Elizabeth Ping, daughter of John Ping and Lydia Bradley, 19 Oct 1809 in Pulaski County, KY.
Jesse Bowling Bullock married Elizabeth Ping, granddaughter of John Ping and Lydia Bradley, 29 Nov 1806 in Pulaski County, KY. Elizabeth Ping was
the daughter of John Ping (1765-1839; son of John Ping (1740-1823)) and Elizabeth Bryant.

Four of the five children of Richard and Elizabeth Bullock married into the John Ping line, and will be discussed in greater depth elsewhere.
Chief cook and bottle washer

xping49

Re: Richard Bullock (1740-1793)

Post by xping49 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Interesting. I wonder if the towns back then were so sparsely populated that the dating pool was very small... hence families intermarrying. Thoughts?

jmraney

Re: Richard Bullock (1740-1793)

Post by jmraney » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 pm

There weren't a lot of people in Pulaski County, KY early on, and the early settler families intermarried quite a bit. By the start of the twentieth century, most of the people living in the area were cousins of some degree or another with almost everyone else. On my paternal side (both grandparents born in Pulaski County), both of my grandparents share Ping, Bullock, and Inabnitt ancestry, and my paternal grandmother has Stogsdills on both her mother's and father's sides. Several of my Facebook friends are fellow researchers with roots in Pulaski County - I'm related to most of them several different ways.
Other parts of the country with a different settlement history are quite different in that regard - my mother's ancestors came to Clay County, Indiana from several different states in the 1830s and 1840s, and there's no overlap at all in her lines.
Chief cook and bottle washer