Jan Garfield Bullock (1953-2019)

A discussion area and sharing forum for the descendants of John Ping (1740-1823).
jmraney

Jan Garfield Bullock (1953-2019)

Post by jmraney » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:42 pm

I learned today of the passing of Jan Bullock. It's likely many of you were unfamiliar with him.

While I never met him in person, he and I shared a great deal of our research over the years, most particularly on the Ping and Bullock families of
southeastern Kentucky. Jan was a descendant of Jesse Bowling Bullock (1788-1861) and Elizabeth (Ping) Bullock (1790-1861) and had done a considerable amount of research on the origins of both families, much of which has been incorporated into the material on this site. In that sense, he has contributed a great deal to this site, although sadly he passed before we got it off the ground.

It is my hope to honor his memory as I would wish, as a genealogist, that one day my own would be: To freely share the results of a lifetime's work with the next generation of researchers, in the hope that they would build upon this foundation and create something even better.

xping49

Re: Jan Garfield Bullock (1953-2019)

Post by xping49 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Condolences to Jan's family. Too bad he couldn't have seen this site before he passed, but as you said, he is still a part of it based on his contributions. RIP Jan Bullock.

jmraney

Post by jmraney » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:52 am

If you nose around the Facebook site, you'll see some comments he made about trying to set up a collaborative family tree document/project.

I was surprised at how difficult it is to set up a large (over 1MB) document online that's capable of being edited by multiple users. Google Docs can't handle a file that size, and while it's possible to share something on Google Drive or OneDrive, it's not editable. A document in the Files section of a Facebook group can be edited, but only if you're using a computer (i.e., not the mobile app).
Chief cook and bottle washer

xping49

Post by xping49 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:28 am

Jim, do you have any reservations about allowing anyone and everyone to edit your database? Much as I hate to say it, someone could alter it maliciously... or just incorrectly. Thoughts?