John Ping Sr. - French and Indian War service?

A discussion area and sharing forum for the descendants of John Ping (1740-1823).
ScottParkey

John Ping Sr. - French and Indian War service?

Post by ScottParkey » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:26 am

I like to collect primary source documentation for military service of my ancestors, and I've seen numerous references that John Ping Sr. served in the French and Indian War. If true, he's the only ancestor of mine that I've been able to place in that particular war, so I've very curious about it. Does anyone here know what primary sources there are to document his service?

RodPing

Re: John Ping Sr. - French and Indian War service?

Post by RodPing » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:21 am

Actually? Cutlers biography’s of my ggg granddads brother is one; place of burial of his son who really is who many call John Ping Sr though dad appeared to be a John Ping also who eventually would farm North Thumberland area in Va.

ScottParkey

Post by ScottParkey » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Cutler's biography dates to 1883, though, so I'd definitely count it as a secondary source. I wonder if there is something more like a company list, muster roll, pension, land grant, etc.

jmraney

Post by jmraney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:08 pm

For the benefit of those readers unfamiliar with the source being cited, I quote here the passage being discussed, verbatim:

CAPT. THOMAS PING, law and real estate business, was born in Somerset, Pulaski County, Ky., July 30, 1815, and received his education in the old-time subscription schools of his nativity. In 1831, his father's family settled in Bartholomew County, Ind., where they carried on a farm until 1839. His father died here in 1833. In 1839, he and his mother and a brother settled in Burlington, Iowa, where they carried on farming and stock-raising until 1843, when he settled in Ashland, Wapello County, Iowa, and in connection with farming he added to his business the practice of law and banking and merchandising. It was from his bank, "Farmers' and Merchants'," that the first paper money of the State was issued. He carried on his business actively until February, 1862, when he organized and took command of Company E, Seventeenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and did active service until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged, retaining his rank. During his war service he participated in all the principal battles of his campaign. At the siege of Fort Hill, near Vicksburg, he was wounded in the side and lost his hearing in his left ear and impaired that of the right; at the battle of Tilton, Ga., he was wounded and captured, remaining in rebel prisons for six months, returning after Lee's surrender. After the war he returned to Ashland, and continued the practice of law there until April, 1870, when he located here and established his present business, which he has successfully carried on since. He married, in 1841, in Burlington, Iowa, Miss Sarah A. Wright, a native of Brown County, Ohio. They have a family of two sons and two daughters - Peru I. B. (attorney), Kate, Frances and John E. W. (telegraph operator). Capt. Ping has been actively engaged in the development of the public, social and industrial life of this place since coming here. In 1872-73, he served his city in its council. In 1874, he served as Mayor, retiring from that office in the fall to accept the Probate Judgeship, which he held for two years. He has been an active member of the I. O. O. F. Society for over thirty-five years. The family are members of the Episcopal Church. The great grandfather of Capt. Ping was John Ping, who came to America from India in 1740, where he had done a thirty years' service in the East Indies. After coming here he took an active part in the colonial and Indian wars, and served under Braddock, and afterward Dunbar, and later on in the Revolutionary war; eventually settled in Northumberland County, Va., on the shores of Chesapeake Bay and followed farming. Capt. Ping's grandfather, John Ping, also did service in the Revolutionary war, and was an active and representative farmer of Virginia. Capt. Ping's father, William Ping, was born in Virginia; was captain in the war of 1812 under Gen. Jackson at New Orleans, but eventually settled in Pulaski County, Ky.

The details of Thomas Ping's life as given in the above biography are supported by primary sources; those are uncontroversial. What remains to be proven by primary sources is anything including and following the words "The great grandfather". The compilers of the innumerable county history books published in the late 19th and early 20th centuries essentially copied whatever biographical and family history information had been provided to them by subscribers to the books. It would be reasonable to believe that Thomas Ping supplied information that was accurate to the best of his knowledge and belief - but without further documentation, it's just a family story.
Chief cook and bottle washer

RodPing

Post by RodPing » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:03 pm

Great info Jim. But again the clue; great granddad to Thomas was above John Ping Sr. His dad John. The one I’m seeking to find evidence from Northumberland, Va this Summer. Also to find my gggg granddads burial place in Bartholomew County where he died in 1833. He was John Ping Sr second son William. And then find out more info on ground penetration on John Ping Sr 1740-1823 place where we think he and his wife are buried around Somerset, Ky. So three clues needing work. I’m taking up to three weeks this Summer to the digging!