Finding John Ping Sr. Dad

A discussion area for the early (pre-1740) history of the Ping Family, especially on the topic of John Ping's origins.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussion of the history of the Ping Family. Comments not relevant to the topic (including, but not limited to, politics) are not to be posted here. Irrelevant posts will be removed, as will repeat violators of forum policy.
RodPing

Finding John Ping Sr. Dad

Post by RodPing » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Since John Ping Sr came from Culpeper, Va, there’s evidence that his dads name was John. But John Sr didn’t take his name and make it into Jr. Since his dad fought, teamstered for Braddock and Braddock was killed and buried close to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, did he come back to Culpeper?

jmraney

Re: Finding John Ping Sr. Dad

Post by jmraney » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:26 am

Usage of the terms "Senior" and "Junior" was different in the past than what we today are accustomed to; that's led to any number of errors by more genealogists than you can shake a stick at.
We're used to those terms implying a father-son relationship. Back in the day, people simply used those two words when there were two men with the same name living in the same area. If there were two William Smiths in town, the older one would be referred to as "Senior" and the younger as "Junior", whether or not they were related. If one passed away or moved out of town, there was no need for the terms "Senior" and "Junior", since then there would only be one William Smith.
Chief cook and bottle washer

RodPing

Re: Finding John Ping Sr. Dad

Post by RodPing » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:44 am

Great answer. I will use some quotes from references on the knowledge I have of the info on what I’ve posted. Quotes from the actual source from the early 1800’s. Getting closer to the actual lands that our kin could actually have lived or died on.